Introduction of Aquamarine March Birthstone
Aquamarine, with its name derived from the Latin words for seawater, holds a rich history intertwined with maritime folklore and symbolic significance. The aquamarine, renowned for the birthstone of March and a gift for the 19th wedding anniversary, has attracted the people's hearts for centuries.
Meaning and History of Aquamarine Birthstone
Ancient mariners believed in the mystical powers of aquamarine, claiming that the gem possessed the ability to calm turbulent waves and ensure the safety of sailors at sea. Additionally, it was thought to bring joy and harmony to marriages, enhancing the bliss of those who wore it.
In 1936, a remarkable event added to the gem's allure. The government of Brazil presented First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt with a magnificent aquamarine. This dark blue rectangular step-cut gem, weighing an astonishing 1,298 carats, originated from a rough piece weighing 2.9 pounds.
Currently housed at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum, this gem stands as a testament to the enduring charm of aquamarine. A highlight in the gemstone world resides at the Smithsonian Institution—the Dom Pedro Aquamarine. Weighing an impressive 10,363 carats, it is believed to be the largest faceted aquamarine globally. Crafted by the skilled German lapidary Berndt Munsteiner, this approximately 14-inch-high obelisk showcases the fantasy cut technique, adding an extra layer of artistry to the gem's allure.
The history of aquamarine is a tale of maritime magic, matrimonial joy, and gemstone grandeur—a narrative that continues to sparkle through the ages.
Aquamarine Stone Properties/ Chemical/ Technical Properties of Aquamarine Gemstone
- Chemical Formula: Be3Al2(SiO3)6
- Color: Greenish Blue to Blue Green
- Habit: Prismatic
- Hardness: 7.5–8 on the Mohs scale
- Refractive Index: 1.57 – 1.58
- Streak: White
- Tenacity: Brittle
- Crystal System: Hexagonal
- Luster: Vitreous
- Cleavage: Imperfect, Basal, Almost never seen
- Transparency: Transparent to translucent
- Rock Type: Mineral-Rich Pegmatite
Where is the Aquamarine Stone found? Give some details of countries and locations.
- Brazil: The territories of Minas Gerais, Bahia, and Espírito Santo in Brazil are home to mines that produce a lot of sea blue. The country's goliath's excellent aquamarine gems are notable.
- Madagascar: The southern district of the island is home to most of Madagascar's waterfowl. This region's stones are often very splendidly blue in tint.
- Pakistan: Aquamarine stones might be tracked down in the country's northern locales, like Gilgit-Baltistan. Pakistani rocks are prestigious for their distinctive blue shade and virtue.
- Nigeria: Nigeria mines aquamarine in various regions, making it another provider. Nigerian greenish blue is notable for its energetic tones, which incorporate blues and greens.
- Mozambique: The nation is known for its aquamarine mining, and its gems are exceptionally esteemed for their purity and unique blue tones.
- Russia: Watermelons have generally come from the Ural Mountains in Russia. Russian aquamarines are utilized now and again as beautifications and are valued for their light blue tint.
Other countries where aquamarine is found:-
How does Aquamarine Stone get its colors? What are the other colors of Aquamarine stones?
Iron inclusions in colorless beryl give aquamarine its blue color. Aquamarine is a kind of beryl mineral that ranges in color from greenish blue to bluish green. Emerald is a beryl, but it has traces of chromium and occasionally vanadium, which gives it a blue-green color.
For over an hour, the stone was heated to 400° C. The color shift was rather noticeable. But take note that the blue color is just as intense as the genuine crystal's initial blueish-green hue. Heat alters the hue but does not affect the saturation.
While some aquamarine gemstones are born blue, the majority begin their lives as blueish green. Given that the majority of consumers favor blue, the majority of items have been heat-treated to that hue. But preferences and times do change. Aquamarines in their natural colors are selling relatively well. Aquamarine gemstone is found in following colors:
- Sky Blue:
- Seafoam Green
- Turquoise Blue
- Ice Blue
- Electric Blue
- Deep Blue-Green
- Mint Green
- Teal Blue
- Emerald Blue
Aquamarine Gemstone Jewelry
Aquamarine is frequently incorporated into jewelry alongside diamonds. Enthusiasts of crystal healing often choose to don aquamarine crystal pendants as a representation of the healing properties attributed to the stone. Those fond of birthstones may opt for faceted aquamarine to adorn rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, considering it a captivating centerpiece. The sea foam hues of aquamarine lend themselves well to bohemian-style jewelry, while its turquoise variants attract jewelry designers for creating traditional pieces like vintage and gypsy jewelry. Additionally, aquamarine enjoys popularity in the creation of engagement rings.
Care and Cleaning of Aquamarine Birthstone
Taking care of your Aquamarine birthstone is a breeze thanks to its durability ranking of 7.5–8 on the Mohs scale, making it perfect for everyday wear. Here's a simple guide to keep your gem sparkling:
- Gentle Cleaning
- Caution with Fractures
- Ultrasonic Cleaners
- Steam Cleaning
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your Aquamarine birthstone remains radiant and ready for everyday wear, maintaining its beauty for years to come.
Astrological and Healing Properties of aquamarine stone
Crystal healing normally is linked with metaphysical properties of gemstones. Those metaphysical properties are based on local myths and beliefs people usually have. One must keep in mind that those beliefs are solely based on human mind observations and have never been proved scientifically. Societies interpret the beliefs according to their social myths they have been sharing from generation to generation. Here are some popular beliefs and myths about astrological and metaphysical properties of natural aquamarine stone.
Astrological Associations of Aquamarine Crystals
- Planetary Influence of aquamarine: Aquamarine crystals are associated with the astrological belief of its link with the planet Neptune. The planet is linked with spiritual insights, dreams and intuitions.
- Zodiac Sign: Aquamarine is often linked to the zodiac sign Pisces (February 19 - March 20). Thus Aqua is considered the birthstone for March.
- Spiritual Awareness: It's a common belief that aquamarine can raise spiritual awareness. It can help in meditation. (Learn about type of crystals..)
- Soothing Energy: Aquamarine is believed to have calm energy. It helps in reducing stress.. It helps in keeping mind cool and quiet while promoting peace inside.
- Inner Strength: Aquamarine is said to promote confidence of inner strength. The people who want to face challenges, it helps them feel confident that they can do it.
- Give Confidence to Self Expression: The aquamarine is linked with enhancing self-expression. It helps in adopting clear communication.
- Throat Chakra Activation: Aquamarine is usually linked with throat Chakra. This linking of Chakra helps in expressing clear communication, self-expression, and the ability to speak one's truth.